There are lots of mixes you can make to give to people during the holidays. We’ve talked about soup mixes, muffin mixes, and spice blends. But for the winter, you might want to try something to make hot drinks. Make your own chai tea blend, hot cocoa mix, or coffee drink ingredients.
Hot Cocoa Mix
The nice thing about this Hot Cocoa Mix is that it is simple and easy.
- 10 cups dry milk powder
- 4 3/4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups powdered non-dairy creamer
- In a large mixing bowl, combine milk powder, confectioner’s sugar, cocoa powder, and creamer. Stir till thoroughly combined. Store the cocoa mixture in an airtight container. Makes about 15 cups mix, or enough for about 45 servings.
- For 1 serving, place 1/3 cup cocoa mixture in a coffee cup or mug, and add 3/4 cup boiling water. Stir to dissolve. Top with a dollop of whipped cream or a few marshmallows, if desired.
Chai tea is very popular these days. It’s essentially regular tea combined with spices. You can make an instant version that makes a great gift.
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
- 1 cup French vanilla-flavored powdered non-dairy creamer
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- In a large bowl, combine milk powder, non-dairy creamer, vanilla-flavored creamer, sugar, and instant tea. Stir in ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup at a time, until the mixture is the consistency of fine powder.
- To serve: Stir 2 heaping tablespoons of Chai tea mixture into a mug of hot water.