This is a fun, easy side dish that has plenty of room for your own tastes and what you might have on hand. This is also mostly ingredients from your pantry, so you could make this at the last minute and still get rave reviews. But what really makes this special is the fact that it’s cheap. But that doesn’t mean you can’t dress it up.
Timing and Equipment:
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 10 minutes
- small bowl to melt butter
- can opener
- medium mixing bowl
- spatula or mixing spoon
- 4”x7” or 2-quart baking pan or casserole dish
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, that’s one whole stick, melted slowly in the microwave;
- 1 can, 15 oz. Mexican (whole kernel corn with peppers)
- 1 can, 15 oz. Creamed corn
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 package, 8.5 oz. Cornbread/muffin mix *
If you make a double batch, use a 9”x13” baking dish and just double the ingredients.
A Note About The Ingredients
Usually, I would recommend making a pan and cornbread from scratch as opposed to using a processed food item. However, it’s hard to beat the packaged stuff for a quick and easy job like this. The ubiquitous Jiffy brand is usually available for less than a dollar.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).
- In your mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and fold them together into a batter. Do not over-mix.
- Spray your baking dish with cooking spray. Then pour your batter into the pan and smooth even.
- Bake in the preheated oven for one hour.
This makes eight servings. All information is approximate per serving. Calories: 414; Total fat: 21 gms.; 11 from Saturated fat (all that butter, you know); Cholesterol: 44 mg.; Sodium 1100 mg.; Carbohydrates: 54 grams, 3 g. from dietary fiber; Sugars: 9 grams; protein: 7 grams; Vitamin C: 4 mg.; Calcium 108 mg.