- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 7 tablespoons shortening or butter
- 3/4 cup cream or half & half
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine flour, baking powder sugar and salt in a large bowl. Work shortening or butter into flour mixture until the fat makes small lumps.
- In a medium bowl, beat one of the eggs and combine with cream. Stir wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. Mix in raisins and cinnamon. A very wet dough will form, almost batter-like.
- Coat your hands in flour. On a floured surface, roll out dough to about 1/2-inch thickness and cut into circles or triangles. Lay out scones on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, leaving at least 1/2 inch between each scone.
- In a small bowl, beat remaining egg thoroughly and mix in water. Use a pastry brush to coat tops of scones with the egg wash. Bake for 20 minutes.
This makes about 10-12 scones.
Once you have this basic recipe down, you can easily modify it for other kinds of fruit or spices. If using fresh or frozen fruit instead of dried, reduce the cream by 1/4 cup. These are good as a snack or for breakfast instead of a muffin. They can be reheated by wrapping in a paper towel and microwaving on high for 15 seconds. They go great with some butter and preserves.