We define good Bachelor food as something that is simple, easy and quick with a minimum of fuss or ingredients. And, we want it to be healthy, at least most of the time. We like recipes that use mostly pantry ingredients you already have.
Time is also a factor. No guy wants to spend hours in the kitchen. And this dish is exactly all of those things.
- Large oven-proof skillet
- Spoons for cooking and tasting
- A medium-sized bowl
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce crush tomatoes
- Basil sprigs and leaves, torn
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
For the Lasagna:
- 1-1/2 pounds frozen cheese ravioli
- 8 oz. or 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese to taste
- Make the tomato sauce: Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium heat until the oil shimmers. While that’s on the heat, make sure the oven rack is in the center. Add the garlic and cook until it darkens slightly but not browned, about two minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Keep stirring until the tomato paste darkens slightly, just a minute or two. Add red pepper flakes, crushed tomatoes (not drained) basil sprigs, sugar and one cup of water. I like to pour it into the tomato can, swish it around, getting the last bits of tomato, then pour it into the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Increase the heat to bring it to a boil.
- Add the pasta to the sauce: Gently separate any frozen ravioli that stick together. Try to do it without tearing the pasta. Don’t force it. If they don’t come apart now they will during cooking. Add the raviolis into the sauce at medium heat. Stir gently to make sure the raviolis cook evenly. The sauce will begin to thicken. Cook until the raviolis are just tender, about 15 minutes. Spoon half of the raviolis and half the sauce into a bowl and set aside.
- If you haven’t already, pre-heat the oven to 450-degrees Fahrenheit
- Assemble the lasagna: Arrange the ravioli in the skillet into a single even layer. Sprinkle half the mozzarella over that layer. Arrange the ravioli in the bowl in a single even layer, pour the rest of the sauce in the bowl over the second layer. Top with the rest of the mozzarella and some grated Parmesan.
- Bake the lasagna: Bake in the preheated oven until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese begins to brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the skillet from the oven. Be careful! An oven mitt is preferred. Scatter the torn basil leaves over the lasagna. Allow the dish to rest for 10 minutes before serving.