This simple and tasty cake. Makes a 9-inch cake and is ready in about an hour and a half.
- 3 apples, peeled and cored
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cardamom
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons peach preserves, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Slice the apples and put them aside.
- In a medium bowl mix the melted butter, sugar and eggs.
- In a small bowl mix the flour, baking powder and cardamom.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir to incorporate. Add the water.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch round cake pan or baking dish. Push the apple slices into the batter in a circular pattern so that only the tops of the slices show.
- Put the cake on the center oven rack and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. While still hot brush the top of the cake with the melted peach preserves to give the cake a bit of a shine.