This is an ideal dish to make your own. It can feed a large group or the easily- warmed leftovers can be paired with a salad, cornbread or home-baked rolls.
Prep Time: 25 Min.
Cook Time: 25 Min.
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 oz. sliced white mushrooms
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/4 stick unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup half & half
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 oz.. package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 3 lbs. Gold potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Rinse. Put in a large saucepan or medium pot and add enough water to cover. Put the pot over high heat and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and simmer potatoes for 10 to 15 minutes until they are soft but not falling apart.
- When potatoes are done, drain and add butter, half & half, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Mash by hand until most lumps are gone and potatoes have the right consistency without being paste-like. Do not over-mash them!
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and cook 3 min., stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and 1/4 tsp. salt and cook 5 to 7 min. or until all liquid evaporates and mushrooms are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in frozen mixed vegetables and cook 2 min. longer. Spread vegetable mixture evenly in 3-quart casserole.
- In the same skillet, cook ground beef over high heat 5 min. or until browned, breaking up meat with the side of a spoon. Stir in tomato paste, flour, thyme, ground red pepper and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt; cook 1 min., stirring. Add broth to beef mixture and heat to boiling; boil 1 min. or until mixture thickens slightly. Spread beef mixture evenly over vegetables.
- Spread potatoes evenly over beef. Bake 2o min. or until sides bubble. Remove and add cheese evenly over the top and replace in oven for another 5 minutes. Let stand for at least 5 min. before serving.