A tasty variation on an old classic.
- 4 large potatoes (your choice of variety, I like golds for mashing)
- 1/4 cup low fat sour cream
- 4 ounces Neufchatel low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 *divided* cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and dice your potatoes into small cubes. Make sure to use a large pot of COLD salted water. Cook until fork tender and drain.
- Smash them until mostly smooth. Do not over-mash them. Let them cool for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Add sour cream, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the parmesan. Mix with a spoon until completely combined.
- Spray the bottom of a small to medium casserole dish. Pour your potato mixture into the dish. Give one more turn of the salt and pepper mills over the top.
- Add bread crumbs evenly over the top of the potatoes. Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese over the top and drizzle all over with olive oil. Put into a preheated 350 oven for 20 minutes, then turn oven to 450 until the top is golden and crispy! Be careful not to burn them!