Get your beans and greens in a delicious, easy way with a simple soup. Make it creamy by puréeing it, or just leave it as it is. Plenty of room for personal options. My version uses white beans, but you can use whatever you have or you like. You can use canned ingredients or homemade components.
Prep Time: 20 minutes; Cook Time: 20 minutes; Ready In: 45 minutes
- 1 14-oz. can low sodium chicken or vegetable broth or stock, or 2 cups homemade broth or stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb. broccoli crowns, trimmed and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 14-oz. can cannellini or Great Northern beans, rinsed, or about 2 cups homemade beans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan or stockpot over high heat. Add broccoli, cover and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in beans, salt and pepper. Cook until beans are heated through.
- If making creamy, transfer half mixture to blender or food processor along with 1/2 cup cheese and purée. Pour into a serving bowl and purée the other half of the soup with the rest of the cheese.
- If not puréeing, turn off the heat and stir in cheese until it melts into the soup.
- Serve warm.