Prep time: 10 minutes; Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes; Ready in 1-1/2 hours. Makes 3 servings.
- 3 lbs. pork back ribs, cut into 3 rib serving pieces
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- Place the ribs in a large stockpot and fill with enough water to cover the ribs. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for about one hour or until ribs are tender.
- Meanwhile, stir together in a saucepan the ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt and liquid smoke. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. When it begins to simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes until thickened. Stir frequently.
- Set oven rack to about 6 inches from broiler coil or burner. Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil. Carefully remove the ribs from the water and place on baking sheet meaty side up. Brush the ribs with half the barbecue sauce. Broil until the sauce turns sticky and lightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- Turn the ribs over, brush with remaining sauce and broil until the sauce turns sticky and starts to blacken, about 7 minutes.