A Bachelor should love good food without spending too much time over a hot stove. This recipe is good for a busy weeknight or a weekend feast. This dish covers the gamut of food groups: lean protein from white meat chicken, green broccoli florets, all in a cheesy sauce and ready in a half-hour. Add a salad and this is a tasty, nutritious meal ready quickly.
Our recipe uses linguine, but any sturdy noodle will work, too, like spaghetti or fettucini. If other frozen vegetables used, remember the size of your colander holes so you don’t lose them down the drain. To make this sauce even richer, substitute half-and-half for the milk. We also prefer a heavier dose of black pepper, but that’s up to you. Remember to take the chicken out of the freezer the day before. We prefer inexpensive, large bags of individually frozen chicken breasts for dishes like this.
This makes four servings (two or three for a big eater). Preparation time: 10 minutes. Cooking time: 20 minutes. Equipment needed: large pot, large skillet, colander, spoons for stirring and tasting.
- 1/2 of a 1-pound package of linguine
- 1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli flowerets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 frozen breasts or about 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prepare linguine according to package directions in a large pot. Add broccoli during the last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain linguine mixture well in a colander.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until well browned, stirring often.
- Stir soup, milk, cheese, black pepper and linguini mixture in skillet. Cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling, stirring occasionally. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.