- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 can whole tomatoes in juice, squished
- 1 8 oz. jar salsa (at the heat level you prefer)
- 1 package chili seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 15 oz. cans kidney beans, well rinsed (you can mix light and dark varieties, you also use black beans)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 2 dashes Sriracha or hot sauce
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef and add onion. Sauté for about 10 minutes until onion is tender and meat is fully browned. Add chili seasoning and stir until fully mixed. Drain grease if needed.
- In the slow cooker* add rinsed beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes,salsa, garlic powder and black pepper. Mix well and turn heat on high for about an hour.
- Stir in beef mixture, chili powder, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup. Allow chili to start to bubble then turn heat to low for 4 hours. Then taste before adding hot sauce.
- To add more heat, add a jalapeño pepper or two, finely chopped, with the beef mixture.
* To make in a stock pot, after making the meat mixture, load the ingredients as above into a large stock pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for at least one hour.