Just make a spicy rub and allow a nice roast to spend the day in the slow cooker. Then you’re ready to make tacos, burritos, sandwiches or lots of other things.
Prep time: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 6 to 8 hours. Makes 10 servings. Serving size: about 1/3 lb. or 5 to 6 oz. Calories per serving: 155. Fat: 8 grams. Protein: 15 grams. Sodium: varies according to spice mix, average 622 mg.
- 1 pork shoulder roast, about 3 lbs.
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning OR enough dry spice and herb blend to make 1 tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons adobo or hot sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar or pepperoncini
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, can be chopped or whole
- water to cover half of roast, 4 to 8 cups depending on size of slow cooker
- Rub the cajun seasoning or your own dry spice rub all over the roast. Place it in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add vinegar or pepperoncini and adobo or hot sauce all over top of roast. Cover with onions and garlic. Pour in enough water to immerse lower half of roast.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours until meat begins to fall apart. While still in the slow cooker, use two forks to shred. You can add barbecue sauce to thicken up the liquid if desired.