This hearty stew can be stored or frozen in single serving containers for a quick dinner or lunch throughout the week or weeks to come. Serve with crusty bread and a nice red wine.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes; Cook Time: 2 hours 10 minutes; Ready In: 2 1/2 hours
Recipe Yield 6 1-1/2 cup servings
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 lb. beef flank, chuck or round steak, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick) or olive oil
- 2 cups water or 1 cup beef stock with 1 cup water
- 1 beef bullion cube if not using stock
- 1 cup black coffee, decaffeinated preferred
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 6 small to medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 6 small carrots cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 tsp. browning and seasoning sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- splash of red wine vinegar
- Put flour in shallow bowl or dish. Add salt, pepper, paprika and Italian seasoning. Mix well.
- Add beef chunks and toss around with a clean hand until all beef pieces are well covered with seasoned flour. Save any leftover flour and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan or a soup pot over medium heat. Melt butter if using or add olive oil. Add beef and brown on all sides stirring occasionally. Browning takes 8 to 10 minutes. Don’t worry if the flour starts to look a little grayish.
- Add the water, coffee, thyme and any leftover flour mixture. Raise the heat to high and stir well. When it begins to boil, lower the heat to low and cover. Allow to simmer for one hour.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and again raise the heat to high to bring to a boil while stirring thoroughly. Lower heat back to low, cover and let simmer for another hour or until meat and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Taste the gravy for seasoning, remove the bay leaf and add a splash of red wine vinegar before serving.
- Calories 341, Calories from fat 120, total fat, 130 g, saturated fat 7 g, cholesterol 56 mg, Carbohydrate 38 g, Fiber 5 g, Sugar 10 g, protein 18 g per serving.