Cooking rice in oil before boiling or steaming will reduce the cooking time and makes it less sticky. That’s the method used in this recipe for Mexican Rice. It’s not the same as Spanish rice and makes a great side dish for more than just Mexican dishes. This is an authentic version.
Prep Time: 5 Min., Cook Time: 25 Min., Ready In: 30 Min., Makes 6 servings.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- In a medium saucepan, cook rice in oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in onion, green pepper, jalapeno, and diced tomato. Season with bouillon cube, salt and pepper, cumin, cilantro, and garlic. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories: 154, Total Fat: 2.7g., Cholesterol: < 1mg.