This simple quiche is versatile and goes with everything. From this basic recipe, you can make many different varieties to use up leftover ingredients from other dishes.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lage onion, diced
- 3 eggs*
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or 1/2 cup whole milk*
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, Swiss preferred*
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust, deep dish preferred
* These amounts can be increased if you add more ingredients. Try to keep the proportions the same. For example, if I add diced ham and an extra 1/4 cup of cheese, I will also add one egg and another 1/4 cup of milk or cream. You want to make sure all ingredients can fit into the pie shell.
1. Preheat the oven to 375-degrees F (190 C) and make sure the rack is in the middle position in the oven.
2. Put a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Melt the butter in the pan, then add all the onions. Stir occasionally and cook until the onions are soft. Remove from heat.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and cream or milk until well mixed. Stir in the cheese and mix well. If you want to add herbs or meat or other filling ingredients, now is the time to mix those in. Line the soft onions evenly on the bottom of the pie crust. Then pour the egg mixture over the onions.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the eggs are set.
The recipe as listed makes 8 servings. Each serving has 212 calories, 5.4 grams protein, 12.7 g Carbohydrates, 15.7 g Fat, 91.3 mg cholesterol, and 210 mg sodium.