My regular biscuit recipe is great. But these make for a good change of pace.
Prep time: 15 minutes; Cooking time: 10 minutes; Ready in 25 minutes; makes 6 biscuits.
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 425℉ (220℃). Have a baking sheet ready, a small one if you have it, a medium mixing bowl, your measuring cups and spoons, a mixing spoon and a dry work area for the dough.
- Combine in the bowl the dry ingredients: flour, paking powder, salt, and baking soda and mix well. Cut in the shortening until the mixture looks like crumbs. Add the milk and sour cream and stir until a dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work area and knead ten times. Roll out or press out the dough to about a half inch thickness. Cut into biscuits and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until they are lightly browned.
Per biscuit: 186 calories; 3.5 g protein; 21.5 g carbohydrates; 9.6 g fat; 6.7 mg cholesterol; 492 mg sodium.
Serve warm with butter and jam.