Prep time: 30 minutes. Baking time: 30 minutes. Makes 9 servings.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Sucralose (Splenda)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups fresh sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar substitute blend (Splenda Brown for Baking)
- 1/4 cup cold butter cut into small chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the cake dry ingredients: flour, sugar, sucralose, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine cake wet ingredients: egg, milk and oil. Blend the wet ingredients well and add to dry ingredients. Stir just enough to moisten all ingredients. Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Top the batter with strawberries, laid out evenly.
- In a bowl, combine sugar and flour. Cut butter into the mixture until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle evenly over the batter and strawberries.
- Bake at 375ºF for 30 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into 9 squares and serve.
As a dessert, a little ice cream or whipped cream with some additional strawberry slices wouldn’t be unwelcome