This is a basic biscuit recipe with the addition of mashed sweet potatoes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes; Cook Time: 15 minutes; Ready In: 30 minutes; Servings: 8
- 1 whole sweet potato, cooked and cut into chunks
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbs. baking powder
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 stick of butter, halved
- 3/4 cup milk
- Mash the sweet potato chunks to get about 1 cup.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF with one rack in the center position.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut 4 oz. (half a stick) of butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a separate bowl whisk the mashed sweet potato with the milk and add the mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix until a wet dough begins to form.
- Turn the dough out onto a flour-covered surface and knead until it just comes together. It will not be smooth and don’t overwork. Press the dough to about a 1-inch thick slab and cut into biscuits. Knead the scraps of dough into one last biscuit. Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Melt the ver half-stick of butter and brush a little on the biscuit tops. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown on top. Brush the remaining melted butter on top of the biscuits.